We would suggest getting as many of your residential projects submitted as possible before the end of 2019. There is a significant Energy Code update taking effect January 1, 2020, which is going to be quite challenging. The following are the most significant changes to expect:
1. The 2019 Residential Energy Code will be roughly 30-50% more stringent than the current 2016 code.
2. Solar PV will be mandatory on new single and multi-family residential construction.
3. HERS QII (Quality Insulation Installation) will be part of the “Prescriptive Standard”, that projects will be compared to, for compliance.
a. Note: Although QII won’t be a mandatory requirement, removing QII verification from the residential T-24 model will incur a significant compliance penalty, and will need to be made up through other energy efficiency measures or upgrades.
4. All electric homes utilizing high efficiency electric heat pump HVAC & DHW and electric appliances, will be encouraged under the new 2019 Energy Code.
5. The use of High Performance Walls, High Performance Attics, and Conditioned/Unvented Attics will likely increase in order to get projects to meet compliance.
More information can be found here: http://soldata.com/2019-california-energy-code/